The Holidays, Ashby-style

Almost every New Year’s Day we find ourselves at Ikea.  There’s something about the New Year that makes the spirit of EVERYTHING IN THIS HOUSE NEEDS TO BE RE-ORGANIZED RIGHT NOW come upon me.  This year was even worse because our house is woefully unorganized; we moved in in June of 2008, the very day my dear father, C. T. Hair, decided to kick the bucket (great timing, Dad, but I'm seriously grateful I got the news after everything was moved in as opposed to before).  Then I continued to puke and gestate the rest of that year until the baby was born Oct. 1, and we skipped the 2009 Ikea trip due to the presence of our newborn.  So, armed with a Christmas check from the In-laws, and a frenetic, near-frantic need to RE-ORGANIZE EVERYTHING NOW, we set out for Ikea.  Ruby picked this one day, of all days, to sleep till 6am and totally throw our schedule off.  Her current wake-up time is 4:10am, just like an alarm clock.  I REALLY needed the extra two hours of sleep, but we left for IKEA after her first nap, which was two hours later than normal, getting us there just in time for the lunch rush and the most crowded hours of the shopping day.  I highly recommend our previous strategy, which is to get there when the cafeteria opens - ½ hour before the store opens, eat breakfast, then shop and get out of there right when it’s starting to get crowded.

When we got to IKEA it soon became clear it was opposite day again and the “bad” kid was our good kid while our “good” kid was our bad kid; Si was an absolute angel, while Rudy-Roo was a terror.  This is happening a lot lately. The poor girl is cutting four teeth, that’s right, FOUR, and was coming down with a cold to boot.  She screamed bloody murder when we put her in the cart, so one of us had to hold her the whole time, where she proceeded to squirm like the dickens because she wanted to get down and run away from us while laughing hysterically and weaving among the frighteningly crowded shoppers and carts.  Quite possibly our most hellish shopping experience ever.  We emerged victorious, however, with two pine desks for $50 each and two pine bookcases for $100 each (they were on closeout so they're not the super-cheap-and-crappy Ikea kind).  We spend a tad more, though, on all those Ikea items that are so inexpensive you just toss them into your cart and boy do they add up.

The next day was spent unsuccessfully trying to REORGANIZE EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW while the children got in our way as much as humanly possible.  Here’s a picture of Bill putting together a desk while being swarmed by kids.



In other news, my Mom was here for Christmas for two weeks and did all the dishes so that when she left we had completely, and I mean completely, forgotten how we ever fit doing dishes into our schedule, much less how to do them.  She also spoiled me with gifts and a trip to the salon for a (much-needed) haircut and massage.  AWESOME!

And there are some serious perks to having a Clothing Designer for an aunt.  Check out these quilts Cynthia made for the children:



 

Rudy-Roo spent the holidays wearing this stuffed snowman like a scarf.  She got some great toys for Christmas, but a discarded CD and case quickly became her most favorite possession.  She insisted on sleeping with it one night. (It was a computer game CD I got at the thrift - a "stocking stuffer" that didn’t work).  


Stay tuned for details about Si’s post-holiday, "Buttercup’s Birthday Celebration!"

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain... Except the 4am wakeup pain... I would die. Also- the quilts are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ikea Furniture Assembly Ultimate Fighting Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wish we had an Ikea. The closest one is a mere 7 hour (summer) to 10 hour (winter) or longer (again, winter) drive. And the shipping is ridiculous. It costs more to ship their stuff than is does to buy it, which maybe is worth it if you have a shopping day like you did.

    Anders cut 4 teeth at a time and it was miserable for me, I mean him. I kept reminding myself that if I had sharp things ripping through my gums I'd be pissed too.

    ReplyDelete